Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Happy Dancing


Because my name begins with an initial, rather than a name, I have participated in the following dialogue for decades:

Somebody: "What does the R. stand for?"
Me: "It stands for my first name."

Yeah, I'm often that kind of smartass. My first name is no secret, it's Robert. But I have never been known by that name, to anybody who matters. Even my social security card, obtained for me when I entered school at age 6, proves that my name is R. Scott Williams.

That "R" may stand for something else, judging by recent events. I suppose I am becoming "Replacement Scott Williams." And I'm loving it.

Many months ago, I told the story in these pages about my being hired for a production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat on the very day I was to start rehearsal. Somebody dropped out after one rehearsal, and I was in the right place at the right time. A similar situation arose just a few days ago. Olney Theatre's Producing Director, the lovely and talented Brad Watkins, was in a pickle. He had just lost an actor for a show starting rehearsal in just a few weeks, and he posted on Facebook his dilemma. He hoped any of his FB Friends would forward his info on to any actors who might be appropriate to fill in.

I saw this note on Facebook, and dropped Brad an email, alerting him that I was available for the time period in question. The role is a pretty small one, so I was unclear whether or not Olney was looking for a union actor, but Brad responded immediately, inviting me to read a short scene for the show's director. I have auditioned for Jack Going a couple of times in past seasons, but had not attended the initial call for Witness for the Prosecution several months ago.

You can see this happy ending coming, can't you? I auditioned for Jack and Brad yesterday (in the midst of some substantial chaos happening in this region, due to the earthquake), and today, I was hired. So, for the second time in a single season, I have a job because somebody else quit. Hey, I don't care in the least how I get a gig, I only care to do my best once I get it.

I know I'll be writing more about this project as it begins, but for now, I'm just glad to have a fun way to spend the next couple of months. It's time for some happy dancing.

No comments: