Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Doing the Happy Dance

Around here, the Happy Dance happens only when yours truly snags work. I have had more than my share of loooooong periods without the dance, so I tend to revel when I'm dancing lots. This year has found me dancing like there's no tomorrow.



It all began last October, when I was asked, at the very last minute, to fill in for an actor who had suddenly withdrawn from "Black Coffee" at Wayside Theatre, only a week before rehearsals began. It was my first time out at Wayside, and I had a lovely time.




Overlapping with Black Coffee was a silly little Christmas show based on the British Panto tradition. In other words, the male roles were played by women, and the female roles by men. The conceit concerned a group of amateur actors putting on A Christmas Carol, with little success. The production had little success, too, but was fun when we had a nice receptive audience (about twice during the four week run).









I had a month or so before beginning the current stint in the Shear Madness second company.


Overlapping with Shear, I've been privileged to be a part of "Opus" at the Washington Stage Guild, one of the prestige productions of the moment in DC.
Yep, I've been Happy Dancing for quite a while now, even as I complain about lack of personal time, lack of sleep, and various other lacks.
I am pleased that more Happy Dancing is, pardon the pun, afoot.
I have been compared to the late great Paul Lynde throughout my career, and I am now honored to attempt the role that put him on the map. I've just been cast as Harry Macafee in the Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre production of "Bye Bye Birdie."

No comments: